Thursday, October 30, 2008

Small Town Blues

Five things about New York I miss the most:
1. tall buildings;
2. frequent and round-the-clock public transportation;
3. well-dressed grown-ups. Grown-ups in general, but especially Chinese delivery men, Mexican deli-owners, Puerto-Rican guys wearing Yankees caps, Nepali waiters, African-American teenage girls in private school uniforms, Irish firefighters, and Upper-West-side Jewish mothers pushing their baby strollers in the park;
4. grocery stores within walking distance from the apartment that sell extra yokey egg salad with dill and provide customers with puffy jackets for the frozen foods section;
5. Riverside Drive, Broadway, Fifth Avenue, even West 14th street.

And the beach -- oh, no, that's in Tel Aviv!

2 comments:

carly said...

2 & 3 would certainly be nice (although as a student, I can get free cab rides home until 3 AM, and I'm rarely out past the last bus home at 11:30 anyway these days). 1 is one of the reasons NYC makes me uncomfortable (although its a minor reason), so I can do without it. It sort of baffles me that one would need a puffy jacket for a frozen food aisle, and I don't like egg salad.

All in all, I'll take Madison over NYC any day, but I may be the only one.

Hope you're not missing the big city too much. Glad to see you're blogging again! Or at least were a month ago.

AP said...

I supposed buildings height and favorite lunch are a matter of personal choice. But puffy jackets are really handy in the summer -- you don't need to freeze your butt of choosing your yogurts or chicken!

I was hoping to blog more than I have, but adjusting to new environment takes my energy away from writing about it. But I'm glad to know that I've retained some readers despite my very intermittent postings! If you keep on reading, I'll keep on writing!