
If you're concerned your display of patriotism will be too noticeable, don't fret -- you are not alone, the "waning of Zionism" is hugely exaggerated. I haven't seen so many flags being displayed by people (not municipal or state authorities) even during my Soviet childhood:



But globalization is reaching even the most insulated communities in this corner of the world. According to Yediot Ahronot, local versions of American TV hits like "Survivor" and "American Idol" ("A Star is Born," in Israel) are now being followed by "The Upcoming Voice," an "Idol"-like contest for the ultra-orthodox community. Says an organizer of the show: "The objective is to find the next nightingale of the Orthodox community, who will be able to...make people rejoice in his voice...in a positive, kosher atmosphere." People of this community don't watch TV and only use "kosher" cell phones that don't allow texting; hence the fairly low-tech dissemination of contestants' performances on CDs and over the internet and, presumably, mail-in voting.
I am eagerly anticipating the haredi (ultra-religious) version of "The Biggest Loser": I think it will do the community some good to brighten up their black outfits with some red and blue. The secular version of the show had its salad stand -- and a huge billboard -- at the Food Festival ("Taste of the Town") here in Tel Aviv a week ago. Although I have not seem that many unfit, let alone overweight, people here...
No comments:
Post a Comment