Thursday, February 14, 2008

Unrealized Reality TV

In general, I’m glad that television writers’ strike is over. Hopefully some of my favorite shows (let them remain unnamed lest I appear as a total geek) will run full season instead of a meager 6-8 episodes.

There’s only one regret. I thought that if the strike draged on a lot longer, producers would be looking for fresh ideas for reality shows and I could pitch them mine, “Dissertation Boot Camp.” Can you imagine how quickly graduate students would finish their dissertations if they were faced with fierce competition, had writing coaches taking them through the process step by step, and could potentially win a prize of hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay off their student debt! And what a treat it would be for the viewers: sociologists taking on economists, historians teaming up with anthropologists against cultural studies folks, comp lit people making out with art historians. And all those riveting repartees between Marxists and feminists, Kantians and Hegelians, small-N and large-N political scientists…

For now, I’ll have to motivate myself, rely on my friends for support and stimulating conversations, and hope there are enough jobs for all of us. And watch less TV!

No comments: